These instructions are to be followed 2-3 times a day, usually after breakfast, after lunch and at bed time. For patients who can not follow this routine after lunch, if necessary we recommend choosing one of either Chewing Gum, Power Drops, or Breath Spray to maintain fresh breath throughout the day.
It is important that you remember not to use any water with these products as they need to remain undiluted.
Also, keep the bottle of oral rinse and the toothgel tube tightly closed and away from the sun when not in use. Never store the mouth rinse in a clear plastic bottle.
**Note: These are the exact instructions that are recommend for the most severe cases. You may find that you will adapt them to suit your own personal preferences. This is perfectly OK - the goal is to make sure the products are working for you.
1. Gently scrape your tongue with the rounded edge of the tongue scraper 4-5 strokes, moving the tongue cleaner forward each time. This will help in removing the mucous layer which has been protecting the bacteria living on your tongue. (Do not scrape vigorously to the point of bleeding, but firm enough to remove the mucous layer.)
2. Rinse off the tongue scraper, then apply a small amount of TheraBreath toothgel to the rounded edge of the tongue scraper and gently scrape another 4-5 strokes. This step applies the powerful oxygenating toothgel to the newly exposed surface of your tongue, thus allowing the oxygenating action to begin. Reach as far back as possible without gagging. DO NOT RINSE, but you can then wash off the tongue scraper after this step
3. Place a normal amount of TheraBreath toothgel on a dry toothbrush and brush for 2-3 minutes. Besides your teeth, also gently brush your tongue, reaching as far back as possible. Make sure to include the roof of your mouth and the inside of your cheeks with this brushing. (The bacteria are extemely sticky and end up almost everywhere in your mouth.) Notice that the word gently- you do not have to brush hard, but make sure that you are thorough. When brushing your teeth, remember to angle the brush towards your gum line, feeling the bristles gently sliding under the gum line. Do not rinse with water after this step. You may, however, spit out any excess saliva and toothgel.
4. In order to rinse out your mouth properly and in order to attack the bacteria, pour 2 capfuls of TheraBreath medicated rinse into a clean glass. Rinse the toothgel from your mouth with this rinse. While doing so, "swish" the rinse all over your mouth for 90 seconds in order to cover all the oral surfaces with the concentrated oxygen. It is NOT RECOMMENDED to drink directly from the bottle - this will likely contaminate the rinse.
5. Take a normal-sized string of dental floss and wet the entire piece with TheraBreath oral rinse. Then floss your teeth thoroughly so that the medicated rinse will pass through all of the tooth contacts. This step ensures that the Chlorine Dioxide will attack the bacteria located here.
6. Take 2 fresh capfuls of the rinse, and gargle for 90 seconds, attempting to get the rinse as far back as possible, without gagging. After gargling, spit out the rinse. (Do not eat or drink anything for 20 minutes following this procedure). If some of the rinse is swallowed, do not be alarmed. It is completely safe if digested (see below)
7. Blow your nose to clear out any excess mucous from your nasal passages. Put 1-2 of the TheraBreath Nasal-Sinus Drops in each nostril. Allow the drops to run through your sinus passages and down the back of your throat.
Please Read the Following:
*** If a Sour, Bitter, or Salty Taste Persists: In some cases, a difference in taste may occur for the first few days after starting the products. THIS IS ONLY TEMPORARY. It's due to the oxidation of metals in existing dental restorations and the new sensitivity of your new clean taste buds. To overcome this taste, apply baking soda to your toothbrush before placing the toothgel on it. This counteracts any acidity you may have in your mouth.
*** ZOX Breath Lozenges: For those who have a dry mouth or remaining sour/bitter/salty tastes (even after using the oral rinse and toothpaste), you may want to try these lozenges. Not only will they help prevent bad breath when you don't necessrily have the time to brush and rinse thoroughly, but they trigger the production of excess saliva too. As they melt, the natural ingredients will stimulate the production of Oxygen-Rich Saliva to give you a fresh, clean taste.
*** SWALLOWING THE RINSE: Many people prefer to actual swallow the TheraBreath rinse. While this is perfectly safe, most patients prefer to actually swallow the AktivOxigen Rinse (made from the tablets) instead of the mouthwash since it has no flavor. In this case, we recommend using your regular TheraBreath rinse to gargle, but swallowing 1-2 capfuls of the AktivOxigen rinse at the end of your oral routine. The purpose of swallowing the rinse is to reach bacteria that are beyond your 'Gagging Point' and therefore have not yet had contact with the medication.
Compliments of Dr Katz of the California Breath Clinics.